Monday, September 23, 2013

Chusok



Yesterday, I spent the whole day celebrating Korean thanksgiving, or Chusok. In Korean culture, I find that there is so much of a respect system compared to the western world. These past weeks, I began to make my own money from tutoring and babysitting, and was excited to save up to go shopping or go out for dinner with friends! But once I got to my grandparent’ house, they told me about how it’s Korean tradition and respect to use my first payment to buy them and my parents socks or undergarments. Not only do Koreans have to bow to their elders, wait until the eldest person at the table begins to eat before you eat, use two hands to give or receive anything to/from your elders, but you also have to use your first salary to buy them socks?!

Large family gatherings such as Chusok always remind me of how much respect all of us have towards each other. I guess it has taught me from a very young age to always be well mannered, especially around adults. I have definitely grown to believe strongly that family always comes first and therefore should be spoken to with caution and respect.


Although I don’t consider myself fully Korean, I am of Korean ethnicity. Therefore, my parents have high academic standards and always push me to strive for high-end jobs.  This has definitely sculpted my belief that education is a crucial part of being successful in life. I’m certainly not saying that it is the most important factor, however I strong agree that working hard at school is very essential in preparing for the next step in life.  I guess that to some extent, the stereotypes of being an Asian are somewhat correct. As a Canadian-Korean, however, I feel that I am more independent that the typical Korean students that rely on academies to boost their grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment